24 May 2009

Stuck in our own little worlds


Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our own worlds that we forget about others. Not on purpose, it is just our own emotional turmoil makes our problems seem “larger then life.” We sit back and watch our neighbors go about their business and have no idea of what is going on in their lives.

Until… one day… we find out that one may have cancer or some other life threatening disease. Then we feel a little guilty about not spending more time with them. How many of us go through life, asking “how are you doing?” And not really care - we’re just being polite.

I don’t even ask the question unless I really want to know. I don’t have the spiritual and emotional energy to get involved in other people’s affairs. Some would say it is kind of “stand-offish” but I rather believe it is being real.
The same can be said when others ask me how I’m doing. I don’t go into details, most of them are just being polite and really don’t want to know the whole truth. So I give a simple one or two word answer and move on.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who treats life like this. But the pressures and stress of life can push us into corners where we feel like we’re the only ones who understand. We lock ourselves in our own little world - dealing with bills and illness - trying to protect ourselves.

Then we see someone who does have it worse then us. The guilt runs deep… and I begin to realize that illness can make us very selfish people…

No comments:

Post a Comment