23 May 2009

Is it just me?

Have you ever noticed how some people can take total control of a conversation? I know I’m a quiet person, but when I speak I want to be heard. Not cut off in mid-sentence with the attitude that you know what I’m going to say. It’s not right. And most of the time these people take over a conversation with talks about themselves… like Toby Keith sings “What about me?” It might sound rude or even obnoxious, but come on. If I didn’t ask how you are doing please don’t give me a ten page essay about your health and well being. If I really wanted to know, I would have asked. Believe me, trust me… I would have asked. A lot of people that are like this are lonely… no one to talk to. They spend their whole day in their own company feeling every ache and pain. Then when someone does arrive they have to share every one of these aches and pains.

My belief is that the more we think about our pains, the more they grow. The more we “feed” our colds and viruses, the more strength they receive. I firmly believe this. I don’t get sick to often. Last winter I got a flu bug that knocked me in the dirt for over three days. People who know me, knew I was sick. That was the first time in over 10 years I missed work because of illness. I don’t give my attention to a cold or sore throat.

I may wake up with a sore throat, but by the end of a day it’s gone. I don’t give it any medication. I basically tell it, that it won’t get any attention from me. And… it leaves. There are people who are truly sick and I’m not including them in this conversation. I’m talking about the people who only get 3-4 hours sleep a night because they have “some sleep disorder” yet they go home from work and take a two hour nap. HELLO?

I just get upset with it all. I don’t complain about my aches and pains and I certainly don’t ask you about yours… so why do you feel compelled to share them with me? Is it just me, but are these people depressing? It is true that misery loves company… and maybe… just maybe… that is why you’re lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment