16 May 2011

Surviving

A couple of years ago, a local poet was asking for contributions for Christmas poems. This is one of two I wrote. The other was more traditional. This one is about a Christmas, where I was homeless, hitch-hiking around our country. I'll never forget being homeless. This poem is about the second chance I was given, to be a "living" member of this society.

This poem was also used in an inner city school in Mississippi comparing my real thoughts with those of a novel and showing the differences between fact and fiction.

SURVIVING

Waking up, at the crack of dawn.
Nothing to do,
But I most move on.
Nowhere to go,
No place to stay.
Just keep trying to run away.
Penny-less and home-less,
Search for a dime.
God, what a mess.
Withdrawals - ain't killing time.
Know how I got here,
Not ready to admit.
By the banks of the river,
Just cry and sit.

More then enough shame,
Wouldn't mind some pity.
Easy to push blame,
Just want out of this city.
Where would I go?
What would I do?
Still unemployed, in year two.
So much pain and fear,
Wishing for a smoke and beer.

Twenty years since those "daze,"
Still remember like yesterday.
The loneliness and pain,
Keep you in the blue.
The people you knew,
No longer know you.
Did whatever it took,
To survive.
But constantly questioned,
Did you want to stay alive.

from my book "Damaged Merchandise; Poems and Stories of an Alcoholic Addict" PublishAmerica

1 comment:

  1. Thoughts from Authors Den

    Reviewed by Karla Dorman, The StormSpinner 10/3/2004
    (((dave)))

    WOW--this one struck deep--hopelessness and courage to face the battle effectively displayed in your powerful words. well done!

    (((HUGS))) and love, karla. :(

    Reviewed by jude forese 9/26/2004
    to survive is to thrive ...

    excellent poem ...

    Reviewed by Stephanie Sawyer 9/26/2004
    This touched a deep chord in me. I loved your poem. It reaches deep within to paint an effective picture of the meaning of the hopelessness and listlessness of the suddenly forgotten person, the abandoned one. Survival, in this case is rough, but possible with tenacity as you have shown.
    Thank you.
    Stephanie S. Sawyer

    Reviewed by Andre Bendavi ben-YEHU 9/26/2004
    In the learning of "Surving" all counts and adds reasons, pains and pleasure... Blessed are those that make the decision to learn and live.

    I admire Your courage and thank You for posting "Surviving", from which I have learned to make decisions to survive.

    I enjoyed the reading of "Surviving".


    Andre Emmanuel Bendavi ben-YEHU

    Reviewed by Retta (Reindeer) Mckenzie 9/26/2004
    Such a deeply moving poem, I am glad you found your way out, excellent poem.

    Reindeer

    Reviewed by Lori Moore 9/26/2004
    I am glad you survived. Nice write.

    ReplyDelete