18 November 2011

Eternity Can Wait

During my active days of battling alcoholism, I tried suicide. The bright light that many people hear about wasn't what I saw. Right now eternity can wait...


a gun... to loud
messy with pain
may not succeed
just want to die
a painless simple death

wanting the pain to go away
want a life in the light
car is started... garage door shut
sleep begins to come
dreaming of seeing the light

instead... it's dark and foggy
parents still fighting
as a child... I wanted quiet
now my eternity is with them
a war I could never escape

couldn't die... not now
choking... coughing
tearing eyes open
fighting to live
eternity can wait

1 comment:

  1. From "Authors Den"


    Reviewed by Jerry Bolton (Reader) 9/19/2009
    I hear ya. My method was to hurl myself off the Mississippi River Bridge in New Orleans at its highest point. Chickened out. Gratefully so, I might add, because I walked off that bridge and within two hours met the woman I would spend the next thirty-eight years with. Gotta love it

    Reviewed by Cindy Tuttle 9/19/2009
    Dave, this is a very powerful poem. I am also glad your here.You mentioned during your active days- I would assume that means your not drinking now. Good for you!!I wish you all the best- day by day.

    Reviewed by Joyce Bell 9/19/2009
    PRAISE GOD!! GLAD YOU ARE STILL HERE...HELPING SOMEBODY ELSE WITH GREAT WORK LIKE THIS. THANKS FOR SHARING AND GOD BLESS YOU.
    JOYCE * HIS INSPIRATIONS.

    ReplyDelete