22 May 2009

Nooner


Get your mind out of the gutter - not that kind of nooner. I went to an AA meeting at noon the other day and left forgetting to mention something. The topic was on the 10th step and our character defects. Just about everyone talked about how most of their defects had left but they still were battling with a few of them.

I still have all my defects. Some are just distant memories but they are still with me. Others, like a bad neighbor seem to knock on my door everyday. And no matter how many times I slam the door on it - it keeps coming back.

But that’s OK. My character defects help make me the person I am today. For years, they helped me survive. I believe the only time they will ever leave me 100% is the day I die. It can’t happen while I’m alive. If it did than I would become my own Higher Power - I would become God.

We don’t need to nourish our defects, but to think they’re gone is also wrong. It’s who we are! For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. For every negative defect, there is a positive asset. They are two sides of the same coin.
My character defects are still with me. Some no longer a part of my active life, but they are there. Along with the ones that seem to be quite active, at times, they help make me - me.

This entry was originally posted on Friday, October 19th, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment