21 May 2009

Letters from Iraq, Part 6

Man, I’m falling behind on these. Hopefully over the next few days I’ll get them all posted. As Dad and son continue to talk, filled with hope, love, and support. This one was posted on 5/8/2007

Ryan, Found this in my copy of the history of the “Lost Battalion” of WW1 fame. Thought this is very true as I look back on my “buddies” from my army days. I am certain you also can relate to this.

From the North, East, South and West,
When called upon we sent our best;
Thru that “melting pot” o’er there,
Hearts were molded, souls laid bare.

Our simple greeting known as “Buddy,”
Is worthy of philosopher’s study;
No matter whether man or lad,
That’s the one greeting we all had.

From small a thing as “Gimme a light,”
To laying down his life in a fight,
There was no color, nor was there creed,
Whenever a “Buddy” was in need.

A man may have been of the Gospel bred,
Or so low that even his name was dead,
Yet when he grasped a “Buddy’s” hand,
There passed a love they alone understand.

Country, color, creed and station,
Molded as one in War’s Devastation,
When “Buddies” went on to that unknown goal
Shoulder to shoulder, soul to soul.

Love to you from me and Jan

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment