21 May 2009

Letters from Iraq, Part 3

This appeared on 2/11/2007

Hi Ryan, Well it is just after 2AM and I could not sleep, so I thought I would send you a message. Your old man is 60 years old today. Born in Hoboken just like Frank Sinatra. Besides the famous duel between Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr, Frank and I are among Hoboken’s few claims to fame. Wow pretty unreal if you ask me. Seems like only yesterday I was 18 and joining the army. Yikes that was 42 years ago now…..Now 42 years later I have a son flying army helicopters in Iraq. I am taking the day off today as I have to go pickup my new glasses at the eye docs and then Jan and I are going over to the VA hospital for an appointment regarding my agent orange/diabetes/eye problem situation. Have another appointment at the VA on the 26th. The DAV (Disabled American Veterans) have adopted me and are acting as my agent with the VA. Jan and I are going down to Williamsburg on Saturday to celebrate our birthdays. We always have a great time down there. Ashley and the kids called Jan on her birthday and we had a great talk. The kids sound so cute and Lilly is getting to be quite the chatterbox….The last 60 years have been a remarkable time for me. I have experienced so much that life has had to offer, both good and bad, happy and tragic. Among the best is having sons like you guys, wonderful grandchildren and a fantastic wife and extended family. It doesn’t get much better than this. Got a way to go yet however, so we shall see what that brings. So much of my life has been focused on the military and our family’s relationship to it. It has played a major roll in my life and obviously yours as well. I am very proud of you and your service to our country Ryan. I am both proud and scared at the same time. Jan and I and the whole family think of you and pray for you each day and look forward to the day you will be back home with us. Well enough of this for now. I’d better get back to bed and get some shut eye time or my old ass will be dragging later. Love you pal. Stay safe
Dad and Jan

Happy Birthday Dad! I wish I could be there to celebrate your 60th Birthday with you. Man, I can’t believe your 60. Old man. No, you’ve still got many years ahead of you. I just wanted to thank you for raising me right. You have taught me from a very early age the importance of duty, honor, and country. I am proud to serve our country just as our family has done in the Rev War, Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Did I forget any? Probably. We sure have been through a lot together in this life and I wouldn’t have it any other way. You have made me who I am today. Thank you and have a great 60th Birthday.
Love Your Son,
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment