30 October 2011

Ground Zero

In 2006, I went on a 15 state two week vacation. A lot of traveling, but I also saw America in a new light. As an American there is a time, I believe, in our present history that will stay with us for the rest of our lives. 9-11 changed us and after visiting New York, I saw first hand how it has united a city. Ground Zero still holds an eerie silence in a city of noise. It is a somber place with make shift memorials on every corner. And it is a place that united a city - where I experienced first hand the helpful nature of its people. New York has a bad reputation, by those who haven't been there. After our week in the area, I better understand the brotherhood/sisterhood of man.

New Yorkers don't care if you speak English or Spanish or anything else. They'll find a way to communicate and help each other. We can all say we are in this together, but after walking the streets of New York, it was the first time, I truly felt that way.

I was born and raised in the New York area, but I hadn't been home in close to 20 years, prior to that visit. What I saw was a unity and humility I never dreamed of
and it made me proud to say that the area is part of my roots.


Ground Zero

somber thoughts… still some tears
twins are gone… lives forever changed
skyline just not the same
somehow we carry on
see trucks moving...
and jackhammers blaring
and you know… someday…
towers will rise again

makeshift memorials surround the walks
you can feel the horror… and the pain…
from a time not long ago
those towers were once...
a place of business
now a symbol of unity
a place of honor… where we became one

New Yorkers know the hurt first hand
and they share the memories of that day
with visitors… who’ll never understand
the full impact of 9-11
the screams… the deafening sounds
of buildings collapsing around them

it affected us all
but you can still see the pain...
in the face of the police officer…
the construction worker…
and the homeless lady on the corner
it changed a nation…
and gave a city… a new life
a new purpose…
a respect for each other…
because we’re all in it together

1 comment:

  1. Thoughts from Authors Den

    Reviewed by jude forese 6/25/2006
    you make very accurate statements about new york ... true, you'll never know the full impact of 9-11 unless you were there to experience it ... new york rocks because it is comprised of survivors and those who come to the aid of others in times of need ... no other city could do it better or more effectively ...

    Reviewed by Regis Auffray 6/25/2006
    Welcome back! Thank you for this, Dave. Love and peace,

    Reviewed by L. Figgins 6/25/2006
    My memory of that time, after the initial numbing shock and disbelief of the first day, was how strangers became friends and chatted on street corners, in the shops, on the busses and trains.
    For a short instant we were all related, tho united by blood and terror. Sad that what brought us together eventually caused a schism so deep, I wonder if we'll ever recover. Yes, it "changed a nation". Glad to hear the people of NYC have respect for each other. Very fine write, Dave...

    Reviewed by Sherry Heim 6/24/2006
    I can only imagine what it must feel like to be there at Ground Zero; a still fresh and gaping wound in the hearts of all Americans who lived through that day. I have not even had the courage to go to "The Wall" yet, and touch the names of those I knew and those I never knew, and feel the overwhelming sadness that was born by every parent, child, sibling, spouse or friend of those who are lost to us forever. It does bring us together, but it also tears us apart. Wonderful poem, welcome back, Dave.

    Reviewed by Chrissy McVay 6/24/2006
    True, we can never really know the emotional depth of those who were 'there' that day. I hadn't seen any recent photos, so thank you for sharing...

    Reviewed by Tinka Boukes 6/24/2006
    Wonderful tribute..welcome back!!

    Reviewed by Karla Dorman, The StormSpinner 6/24/2006
    Powerful, beautiful tribute; well done!

    Reviewed by Karen Lynn Vidra, The Texas Tornado 6/24/2006
    We need to remember what happened on that awful day, and we need to appreciate the freedoms we have here. NEVER FORGET!!

    Reviewed by Sara Coslett 6/24/2006
    Thanks for taking us back there. I know I will never be the same. And while I wasn't there when it happened, the thought of those sounds, the smell of the fumes, the dead and the dying, the feel of the air...all linger in my thoughts. I will always remember it as the day the "Earth Stood Still".

    ReplyDelete