23 May 2011

Defeat And Surrender

Though this write was influenced by the tragedy of another family - it very easily could have been me. There is no doubt in my mind, that if I didn't quit drinking, I'd either be dead or in jail. A poem of reflection, about lives saved and lives lost. The reality is that there is a very fine line separating the two...


Defeat And Surrender

enclosed in four walls
Brutus… my roommate
keeps me quiet
but how I wish I could scream
I see bars before I see the window
and wire in the glass

across my room
the door opens only
from the other side
my bed is next to the toilet
and slowly it all comes together
though alive… I flushed my life

I’m told when to eat, when to sleep,
when to talk and when to breathe
paying the price for a decision
I wish I never made...
can’t feel sorry for myself
hurt to many people… friends… family

I’ll be here for a few years
and see the dark side of man
then realize… I’m not evil
knowing I don’t need to explain
but will repent and change

the dreams I wanted… are gone
dreams that He sees… will arrive
in His time
today… I need patience and faith
faith… that He knows best
patience for answers to come
for questions not yet asked

May God help me…

1 comment:

  1. Comments from Authors Den

    Reviewed by Regis Auffray 3/26/2006
    Emotively compelling and powerful in meaning. Thank you for sharing this offering, Dave. Love and peace to you,
    Regis

    Reviewed by E T Waldron 3/26/2006
    A compassionate write from one who can relate, you show the misery involved,and the remorse... Excellent, Dave!

    Reviewed by L. Figgins 3/26/2006
    Our fate is balanced on a very fine line. Some events are mutable according to our will to change and with others beyond our control our lives are hinged apon our reaction and action to what occurs. Attitude is destiny. We really can be our own worst enemies. Great write, Dave...
    Lin

    Reviewed by Chrissy McVay 3/26/2006
    Have you seen the movie 'Crash' yet? Just a small twist in events could turn a hero into a villian, and vice versa...

    Reviewed by Tinka Boukes 3/26/2006
    Powerful message poem Dave!!

    Take care my friend!!
    Love Tinka

    Reviewed by Karen Lynn Vidra, The Texas Tornado 3/26/2006
    Powerful piece of writing, Dave; very well done! BRAVO!
    (((HUGS))) and much love, your friend in Tx., Karen Lynn. :(

    Reviewed by Carolyn Red Bear (The Bear Paw) 3/25/2006
    May God help us all, Dave! Excellent, perceptual write.... thank you for sharing....
    In Spirit,
    Bear

    ReplyDelete