05 April 2011

Making A List

Step Eight of AA, "Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all."


Making A List

I grabbed a paper and pen
I sat down… and then
wondered… where do I begin
so much pain… so much sin

I started with what I did yesterday
easily remembered… couldn’t throw away
I kept going back in time
constantly looking for a sign

I wondered would I ever write enough
there was so much… stuff
one page quickly turned to two… then three
could this program really set me free

before I knew it the list was ten pages long
even from childhood… I listed my wrongs
deep inside… I wanted to die
everything hit me… I began to cry

“I’m sorry” wouldn’t cure their pain
just seen as sick and insane
but this list made it real
and your hurt I could feel

I’m not sure how to correct all the wrongs
I’ll beg my Higher Power to guide me along
I’ll practice on what I want to say
and prepare… for your day

Please God, take hold of my hand
I’m traveling in an uncharted land

2 comments:

  1. Comment from Authors Den

    Reviewed by Cynth'ya Reed 7/28/2007
    Isn't forgiveness wonderful? hallelujah! blessin's Bro DH,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is beautiful....so powerful.

    ReplyDelete