24 April 2011

Reaching out to a Higher Power

Step Three of Self-Parenting states, "Learned to let go of compulsive self-reliance by reaching out to our Higher Power."

Self-reliance has gotten me into so many unhealthy situations. I don't know if unhealthy is the proper word, but I find it extremely difficult to reach out and ask for help. This foolish self-centered pride has gotten me into some sticky situations.

I find it so hard to ask for help when I need it. Then all of a sudden I find myself backed into a corner with no logical escape. Right now, I'm in such a predicament. The economy has been extremely hard on my finances. We are behind on our mortgage payments as well as our credit cards.

I have a good reason for this. At the beginning of the year I lost a part-time job because the company (a newspaper) was losing lots of advertisement revenues. My once a week column was expendable and actually I was a freelance writer for them, so by getting rid of me they were protecting their "real" employees. I understand it and have no bitter feelings about it. But that income loss started our downfall. I needed to use the credit cards to get my wife's prescriptions filled and it just snowballed after that.

I knew when I lost that job I knew what would happen but instead of calling these companies and explain my situation to them; I tried to figure out an answer on my own. And like the past... I'm once again backed into a corner.

Now tomorrow I'll be on the phone trying to work something out. Tonight, my stomach is already doing flip-flops and I'm sure I'll be tossing and turning in bed.

I need to start reaching out for my Higher Parent sooner not later. I need to start "acting" with life's problems instead of "reacting."

I know everything will work out. It always has, but I really need to get into a better habit of being a good parent to myself and ask for help when I need it.

These steps, also adapted from AA, were written by Patricia O'Gorman, Ph.D. and Philip Diaz, M.S.W., as part of their work with families, women, and youth in recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment