21 May 2009

Letters From Iraq, Part 9

The following appeared on 5/23/2007 and brought back some memories of my childhood.
I remember when my oldest brother was in Vietnam, my folks would send him a care package, every now and then. It is from these letters I learned how special they are to our troops. The Dad, in this series knows that for a fact, himself being a Vietnam veteran. And he also knows how valuable it is to keep up the morale of all the soldiers that serve with his son.

Hi pal, How are ya?. Spoke with Ash and the kids last night. They are all so cute. Ashley told me about Courtney and Joe. I was sorry to hear about that. Hope they can both get on with their lives and find happiness. She also told me about the baby and her Asthma problem. Jan also has that and it is something you have to learn to live with and manage. It is a do able thing. Heard that you got a few letters regarding your actions of late. That was very nice of them to send them to you. If you get a chance, send me a copy and I will put them in your scrap books. I have four binders now for you. Pretty neat and I think you will really get a kick out of going thru them when you get back. Did you get my last package yet?. Have you heard from anyone else recently?. Let us know how you are doing Ry. Stay safe and know that we think of you every day, in fact many times a day. We love you.
Jan and Dad
PS. Did Chaplain Clark get the package I sent him? Have you heard from my old Chaplain Fernlund by any chance?

Dad,
Thanks for the email. It is certainly not good news about Doxey, but the doctor said she could grow out of it by age 4. I don’t think asthma runs in our family, but either way, we’ll take good care of her and deal with it the best we can. Yes, Joe and Courtney are divorced. Joe was a good friend of mine and I still keep in touch with him. Hopefully he and I can play some golf when I get home, but I think he is moving to Camp Lejeune soon. Oh well, it’s a shame things didn’t work out. Yes, I got a letter from the unit that we supported that day and it was the best feeling. They said that we saved their lives that day, but I was just doing my job. I look forward to reading those binders you have made. They will definitely be something to cherish years later. CPT Clark came up to me tonight at dinner and told me that he got the package you sent him. He was very happy to get that and mentioned how you still keep in touch with your chaplain from Vietnam . He said he would write you back. That was pretty cool dad. Thanks for doing that. I still have to get you the names of the guys from my unit so you can send them gift packages. I will work on that ASAP. Yes, I did receive the package you sent. Thanks a lot. You probably know more about my unit than I do. I haven’t really had time to meet everyone. I do know that there are a lot of people working together to accomplish our mission. I don’t see a lot of things that happen behind the scenes, but it’s a 24/7 operation. We do see on a daily basis our S-3, S-2 and Commander. As far as the flight line, our crew chiefs and maintenance company have a tough job trying to maintain 24 Longbows that are half way through their second tour in Iraq . Our aircraft are in need of a reset. It’s starting to get really hot over here now. Over 100 the other day and we’ve had some crazy dust storms. I received a letter from Grandma yesterday. I love getting letters from her because she does a great job of describing home and family. I’m sure you read many letters from her when you were in Vietnam .
Well, that’s all for now. Tell the family I am doing well and love them. I’ll talk to you soon Dad.
Love Your Son,
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment